You do not have to be in a particularly dangerous occupation to be susceptible to sustaining or developing injuries on the job. In fact, some of the most seemingly innocuous occupations carry the most risk of employees developing a repetitive stress injury. These types of injuries, which develop as a result of repeated movements that frequently result in soft tissue or nerve damage, actually account for approximately 60% of all workplace injuries. A repetitive stress injury can range from mild to severe and can often impact one’s ability to perform required job duties. Although employers should take necessary precautions to protect their employees from injuries like tendonitis, carpal tunnel syndrome, and other repetitive stress injuries, not all do, unfortunately.
If you developed a repetitive stress injury due to your occupation, you could be eligible for workers’ compensation benefits.
Below are some of the most common repetitive stress injuries developed by workers in a wide range of jobs and industries:
- Carpal tunnel syndrome: This condition is caused by excess pressure on the median nerve, which runs down the arm and through the wrist, controlling both sensation and movement in a person’s thumb and first three fingers. When a person frequently makes repeated hand and wrist movements, this can increase the sensitivity of the median nerve. This will ultimately cause pain, tingling, and weakness. Individuals who work on an assembly line have a high risk of developing this particular repetitive stress injury.
- Bursitis: This affects the small, fluid-filled sacs that provide cushion for the body’s joints. Typically, bursitis affects a person’s knees, shoulders, elbows, and hips as a result of overuse. Individuals who work in an environment that frequently involves heavy lifting, putting excess strain on the shoulders, tend to develop this condition. Although bursitis is generally more painful when the afflicted joint is in use, it can also be painful at night.
- Tendonitis: When the tendons are overused, they often become swollen, leading to tears and painful inflammation. This condition typically affects the hands, elbows and shoulders and symptoms frequently include pain and decreased or lack of mobility in the area, which can become much more severe if left untreated. Those who are involved in carpentry, cleaning, painting, and gardening are all at a high risk for developing tendonitis.
- De Quervain’s Disease: This disease can be caused by any workplace activity that requires repetitive hand and wrist movements and can affect a worker’s ability to grip objects due to the inflammation of the tunnel that contains the two tendons that control the movement of the thumb.
- Thoracic Outlet Syndrome: Caused by the compression of nerves that run along the space between the lower neck and first rib, this condition occurs as a result of poor posture, repetitive movements such as typing on a computer, lifting objects above your head, and working on an assembly line. The symptoms of this condition include pain the shoulders and neck as well as numbness in the fingers.
These are just a handful of some of the most common repetitive stress injuries, though there are certainly others. Repetitive work takes a toll on a person’s body and, if you sustained a repetitive stress injury, whether it was mentioned above or not, you have a right to pursue workers’ compensation benefits that will assist you throughout this difficult time.
Workers’ Compensation Attorneys in Fresno
Injuries sustained or developed on the job can be serious, requiring workers to take precious time away from their work. This is where workers’ compensation benefits come into play, covering the cost of medical treatment and missed wages. At Berry, Smith & Bartell, a Professional Law Corporation, our Fresno attorneys will fight for the benefits you deserve. Backed by over 130 years of combined legal experience, you can be confident in our ability to effectively represent you.
Contact our office today at (559) 227-7290 to schedule a free initial consultation. You will not owe us any legal fees if we cannot win your case!