Workplace injuries and fatalities are sadly now more common than ever, despite the fact they are preventable in nature. According to the National Safety Council, more than 13 people per died while doing their jobs in 2014. Since June is National Safety Month, we at Berry, Smith & Bartell, a Professional Law Corporation want to do our part to promote workplace safety. In doing so, we can help prevent countless injuries and fatalities from occurring.
The following tips are crucial in preventing workplace injuries:
- Eliminate fire hazards – If you work with combustible and flammable materials, it is essential you are incredibly careful with storage. Remember to keep passageways and doors free of obstructions. If you notice any electrical or fire hazards, report them immediately--it could save a life.
- Prevent slips, trips, and falls – Slips and falls are the 2nd leading cause of nonfatal workplace injuries, and can be easily prevented with a number of practices. Report and clean up spills and leaks, and remember to replace any damaged flooring. If there has been an oil or grease leak, you must use the correct kinds of cleaning products and protocols, so as to prevent spreading the slipperiness around. Also, install anti-slip flooring in areas that are difficult to clean.
- Use proper protective equipment and tools – PPE, also known as personal protective equipment, can prevent many injuries such as cuts, splinters, burns, etc.
- Prevent falling objects – Don’t stack objects in aisles and working areas. Heavy objects should always be placed on lower shelves.
- Create written rules – If formal rules are defined in writing, they are much more likely to be followed. These protocols can specify which tools, cleaners, and methods should be used.
Contact Our Bakersfield Workers' Comp Lawyers Today
At Berry, Smith & Bartell, a Professional Law Corporation, our Bakersfield workers’ compensation lawyers understand just how debilitating it can be to suffer from an unexpected workplace injury, resulting in a number of serious consequences. Our legal team wants to take the burden off your shoulders by handling the legalities of your case with ease. We strive to resolve your case efficiently and effectively, so you can obtain the compensation you deserve.
Schedule an initial consultation today by calling us at (800) 848-6288.